Preparing for your Family Session
1. Choose clothing carefully. Long gone is the look of a whole family in khaki pants and white t-shirts. I recommend a coordinated look while avoiding looking “matchy matchy.” Think similar, coordinating colors but with the same pop of color here and there. If you would like me to take a look at your outfit choices before the session, you’re welcomed to send me some photos!
2. Plan around nap time. I know how grumpy little one’s can get (Our youngest is especially a delight when tired) If were in the studio time isn’t such a pressing issue. However if you have booked a location shoot, the best time to shoot is a few hours before sunset or right after the sun rises, if you have a little one that will be unhappy at those times, please let me know. We want your children to be at their happiest. We can always choose a location with shady options so that we can shoot any time of day.
3. Don’t be afraid of candid photos. While I do some posing during your session, a lot of it will be very natural interactive moments between you and your family. If your child is seeming uncooperative and not wanting to look at the camera, continue laughing and playing. Most of my favourite family shots are when everyone is laughing amongst each other.
4. Pack a little bag of necessities. You are more than welcome to bring food to the studio. We do have the wonderful Coloum Bakehouse on site, and I always keep a little treat box in the studio for after the session. A favourite toy, and an outfit change just in case!
5. Have more questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact me.